Join the 2018 - 2019 Commodore Friends of Music
Consider joining the VUHS - commodore Friends of Music for our children, our music educators and our community!
Each moment a music educator spends on administrative tasks is a moment that the educator could be spending with your student. A ten-minute task for a parent could save a teacher 30 minutes, or an hour. That time goes right back to the students, ensuring that your child gets a better experience.
- Local performance opportunities like concerts, musicals, and parades rally a community around the shared experience of the music provided by your child’s performance ensemble. Everyone within earshot will be improved by your student’s performance. Research says that “people who engage in the arts or watch others do so are more likely to be civically engaged, socially tolerant, and altruistic.” Each pair of ears is likely attached to a voter. Students will leave the program to spend their lives making the world, much less your own community, a better place. Studies show volunteers are happier!! (NAfME)
Consider giving a hand to your child’s music program. Any way you look at it, your child’s music program is a force for good: for students, the school, the community and beyond. Here’s what the VUHS Friends of Music accomplished last year:
- $2,289.31 for Port Lighting Systems/ Auditorium Renovation
- $5,450.00 for one bus for the Heritage Music Festival, which lowered the cost of the trip for every student
- $4,000.00 for music department scholarships for the High School Heritage Music Festival
- $500.00 for college scholarships
- Paid $3,000 towards the purchase of a NEW $5,500 tuba
- Donated funds toward the new sign in front of VUHS
- Purchased a new Marching Band Banner for the High School Band
- Donated $1500 towards a new Yamaha Tuba
- Upgraded the sound systems in the band and chorus rooms
CFOM has a wish list for this year: to purchase additional lighting equipment for the renovated stage, fund transportation and scholarships for the High School Band & Chorus performance festival in 2019, and purchase a music storage system for the Band Room.
Please consider helping us!
- Join the steering committee. We need planners!! Choose from the events below that interest you and can work with your schedule. The steering committee meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month in the VUHS Band Room at 6:30 PM.
- Volunteer for the following events:
- October - November Patrons of Music Drive (contact graduates, assist with a mailing)
- “Anything Goes” Parent Committees (refer to the information packet from auditions)
- Breakfast with Santa (Sat., December 1st - donate food and/ or cook)
- Black & White Cabaret - Silent Auction
- Raffle for Themed Gift Baskets
- Marching Band Parade Chaperon (we need many for the High School & Middle School Bands)
- Marching Band Uniform assistant (Take orders for MS shirts and/ or help size students for their HS uniforms and/ or do hemming/ basic alterations.
- Concert Concessions (Make or supply food for the concerts and/ or help sell the goodies)
The VUHS Music Department is only as strong as the parent/ guardian supporters!
Visit the Commodore Friends of Music web site and Face Book page!