Commodore Parent/Teacher Group
A family, school, community partnership
Who Are We?
We are a group of parents, teachers, and administrators who began meeting in December 2010. Just as the Boosters support athletics and Friends of Music supports the music program, our purpose is to support communication and academics at VUHS.
The CPTG mission is to encourage and support academic achievement through the promotion of family/parent involvement in the school, provide enrichment grant opportunities, and to enhance communication between families/parents, teachers, administrators, and community members.
When Do We Meet?
We meet the 1st Wednesday of every month at 6:30 PM in the school library. Check the school calendar to confirm.
The Commodore Parent Group Accomplishments to date:
- Initiate and facilitate weekly VUHS E-News to student families in grades 7-12 via grade level parent liaisons since January 2011.
- Conduct an annual fundraiser.This money funds the CPTG Enrichment Grant Program and other projects related to the CPTG mission.
- CPTG Enrichment Grant Program - Since 2012 grants have been awarded to teachers and staff. Annually we award approximately $3500. A sample of our grant recipients have included: guest speakers, artists in residence, transportation for field trips, t-shirts for clubs including HS Math Team, MS Math-Counts Team, V-RED and Queer Straight Alliance, Middle School Chili Cook-Offs, Mock DUI Crash, Walden-Ethiopian Teacher Exchange, Taiko Drummers, social studies photo project, an environmental club compost project.
- Organize Staff and Teacher Appreciation events throughout the year. - we have provided snacks, brunches, lunches, chair massages, raffles of prizes and facilitated notes of appreciation from students
- Offer an annual outreach educational event, showed the movie Screenagers to to students and the community followed by a discussion, offered a SAT BootCamp, held a facilitated discussion for parents and students regarding healthy relationships, physical & emotional intimacy, hooking up, pressure, consent, and how hard it is to talk about things like sex with teenagers.,
- Provide an annual donation to Project Graduation
- Partially funded the new electronic sign for school.
- Help fund refreshments for parent/teacher conferences.
Our Annual Fundraiser – March Madness Campaign
Between 2012-2016 we raised over $24,000 with a community rummage sale. Since then our annual fundraiser has been a March Madness go fund me campaign. The money raised funds the CPTG Enrichment Grant Program and other projects related to the CPTG mission.
Join the Commodore Parent Teacher Group!
We are always seeking new members to help with our initiatives/projects and welcome more participation and involvement from parents/families and the community. Please contact Lynne Rapoport at [email protected] if you would like to be added to the CPTG email list or want to learn more. If you have ideas to help with the CPTG mission, we welcome your input!